· · · send your science questions my way ... roberts.random.science@gmail.com · · ·


Monday, January 4, 2010

It's All Zen in 2010!


Happy New Year!

Sorry I have not been posting lately – I decided to give myself a little vaca (which was fabulous and very relaxing – thanks for asking).

Sunday morning I was talking to a friend (and fellow blogger – woot woot) and both of our stomachs started making some lovely sounds. That’s when we realized we needed to brave the cold and head out to brunch.

But stomach sounds - what a perfect post! Everyone as had one, but do you know what they really are?

The scientific term for stomach noises is borborygmus. The term is actually an onomatopoeia for stomach rumbling.

Your digestive tract is constantly working. Muscles lining the entire tract are relentlessly contracting to keep the digestive process moving along. After you have gone a few hours without eating, there is nothing really there to get passed down the digestive tract except for some gastric juices and swallowed spit. Even though nothing is there, the muscles still contract, stirring up the juices, thereby releasing gasses into your intestine. The rumbling you hear is just the gasses getting released and pushed around. Stomach noises can also be heard after eating if food is not broken down completely. Incomplete digestion increases the amount of gas in the intestine – just ask anyone with a gluten allergy or someone that is lactose intolerant.

After all of that gas is thrown around in your intestine it obviously needs to be released, but you know how that works. And if you don’t and are that ignant, you needs to get off the plane…

2 comments:

  1. If I ever need to know science again, which is definitely yes if I want to get my MPH, you will be my science tutor. You are so great at breaking things down and making them fun to learn!
    You're like the cooler, gayer, fiercer version of Bill Nye! or Ms. Frizzle!
    If you don't see those things as incredible compliments...you just denied my whole childhood. Those people helped me get through school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH. MY. Jesus.

    I adore you! I am TOTES a Ms. Frizzle!! :-P

    ReplyDelete